Wednesday, October 17, 2007

how is that fair?

I just received a phone call a little bit ago from a parent in our church that could hardly talk, what she did say was that a young girl in our church that had been fighting with cancer passed away..... How is that fair? I mean really, how is it that a young girl with her entire life ahead of her had to struggle with such a nasty deadly disease like cancer? And why is it that I can't seem to process that kind of stuff in my head? As the Pastor of Compassion at our church part of my responsibilities are to care for people's needs locally, regionally, and globally. Right now my heart aches for this family. Then Mom is a strong single parent. And again when I think of things like this my mind can't grasp it, a child is gone, and now a single parent is left to care for the rest of the children and also for herself, how is that fair?
Last month our Pastor, Greg, did a series on "Uncertainty", and one of the messages was titled, "Why does God allow Suffering", and even now I have to go back to what God says, and I have to focus on TRUTH, and know that God is GREAT and He does care. Psalm 56:8 is a great comfort and reminder to me, "you keep track of all my sorrows, you have collected all my tears in your bottle. You have recored each one in your book." This was a Jewish custom that would happen at funerals. They would pass a bottle around and each person would put their tears in a bottle, then they would take it to the wife, family, or children of whoever it was that suffered the loss and, it was to be a reminder that they were hurting with them. That's an awesome picture of what a church is to be. Romans 12:15 says that we are to "Rejoice with those who rejoice, and mourn with those who mourn." In the midst of grieving the loss for a loved one, or in this case the loss of a child in our church, I have to come back to Truth, and that truth is that Christ loves each of us so intimately, the Bible talks about how Jesus even wept after hearing his good friend died. Jesus wept, I find comfort in knowing the God of this universe loves us so much that he wept over one of his children who passed. In Matthew it says, "what is the price of two sparrows, yet when one falls from the sky, I know. And I care so much more for you." I'm so thankful that I serve a God who is close and personal, and not distant or far away.

No comments: