Monday, July 2, 2007

READING......

I have to say that I have never been a "BIG" reader. I think I maybe read 2 books all the way through in college. I do remember one of my mentors Tim Reed always saying, "Readers are leaders, and leaders are readers." I always thought that was over-emphasised, but in the last year have really started to grasp it's full meaning. I have long admired my beautiful wife for her desire to read pretty much anything that comes across her eyes, me, well I'd rather rent the movie! She has such a wealth of knowledge and that challenged me in a big way. About 6 months ago I wanted to start reading some books that were recommended by someone I consider a great leader and communicator... Rob Bell. If you haven't read his books, "Velvet Elvis" and his most recent, "Sex God", both are great reads and challenging to really go deeper, "we go inward deeply so we can go outward authentically". Now I won't address anyone who thinks that he is a "hieratic" I'll blog on that one later. So I picked up a few books that were recommended(not meaning his own), and really was challenged. Another author, pastor, and leader that I have so much respect and have learned a ton from and will continue to snatch up anything he writes is Andy Stanley. This guy is the real deal, full of VISION, PASSION, and communicates his heart for the Lord in such an awesome and challenging way! Andy you ROCK man!

But some of the books that have challenged me recently are:(no particular order)
1. Velvet Elvis- Rob Bell
2. Sex God - Rob Bell
3. Uprising- Erwin McManus
4. The Creative Leader- Ed Young
5. The Creative Marriage- Ed Young
6. The Big Idea- Dave Ferguson
7. Communicating for a Change- Andy Stanley
8. Next Generation Leader- Andy Stanley
9. Visioneering- Andy Stanley
10. Good To Great- Jim Collins
11. Our Father Abraham- Marvin Wilson
12. Blue Like Jazz- Donald Miller

Great books to make you think, and take you inward deeply to go outward authentically.

No comments: